Monday

Tahoe Rim Trail - Kingsbury Trailhead


On 08/06/2013, during a visit to Tahoe for my mother's 91st birthday, we decided to hike the first mile of the Tahoe Rim Trailhead at the top of Kingsbury Grade. Though this was my second hike here, last year's hike was through the snow. It was nice to actually be able to see the trail this time. Click here for pictures ... 08/06/2013 Update - Tahoe Rim Trail.

{Click on any image to view full size, then use the back button on your browser to return to this page}
E-P1020659
(Fig. 01)
10/25/2012 Trip Notes: Recently I made a trip to Lake Tahoe to purchase a used 2002 Toyota Avalon. On the return trip I made a short stop at Brautovich Park near the top of Kingsbury Grade. On my way out of town I shared my last look at Lake Tahoe (Fig. 01) with a few ducks that also appeared to be just enjoying the view. As I neared the top of Kingsbury Grade, the snow glistening off the trees (Figs. 02 & 03) from the previous night’s storm beckoned for a closer look. I took a turn onto North Benjamin Road toward Brautovich Park and drove past the park to the end of Andria Drive where the pavement ends. A large sign marks the Tahoe Rim Trail - South Trailhead.

Because the snow here was nearly a foot deep at times (Fig. 04), it made this rocky (Fig. 05) trail difficult to maneuver. From the small parking area, this trail rolls up and down along short stretches. At an elevation of 7,780 to 7,860 feet, this is a relatively easy hike. You end up wandering through an open forest of Jeffrey pine and white fir while enjoying the smell of tobacco brush and the brilliant green of Manzanita. In spite of generally overcast skies and only sporadic periods of sunlight, I was still afforded some nice scenery (Figs. 06 & 07) on the way to the top of the trail. After about 0.5 miles of hiking you come to a marked vista spot (Fig. 08). Because this stop was already consuming more time than I had planned, I had to turn around here, missing what appeared to be some nice views of Castle Rock and the west shore of Lake Tahoe further up in the distance. I enjoyed this hike immensely. A fresh layer of snow made the trail just a little treacherous, while at the same time making it feel pristine and new, as if I was the first person to ever walk here. For the most part, the trail was easy, and didn't require any difficult climbing. At least I was able to get one final snow backed view (Fig. 09) of this beautiful lake.
E-P1020719
(Fig. 02)
E-P1020677
(Fig. 03)
E-P1020704
(Fig. 04)
E-P1020686
(Fig. 05
E-P1020712
(Fig. 06
E-P1020713
(Fig. 07)
E-P1020699
(Fig. 08)
E-P1020689
(Fig. 09)